View Single Post
Old 8th January 2010, 01:39   #42  |  Link
knutinh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MfA View Post
As I said, the bandwidth is usually reduced to around 70% ... so the effective resolution is about 70%.

That's just when things aren't moving though. When things move at a multiple of 1 pel per field in the vertical direction even the best deinterlacers being used at the moment are not going to be able to make something sharp out of the result ... the object becomes identical (ignoring the shift) in both fields, all the image data for half the lines in every frame is simply gone, interpolation will have to do. So in that case the effective resolution becomes 50% ... but it's aliased, so it's actually a little worse than 50%.

Which is why you really don't want to do high movement video with interlacing (sports mostly, since action movies are of course shot with flicker cam, making interlacing moot).
I just remembered a review of Canon Hf20 consumer 1080@60i AVCHD camera:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...erformance.htm

Quote:
The Canon HF20 has the best video resolution we've ever recorded on a consumer camcorder and its scores are comparable to some of the professional models we've tested (like the Sony HDR-FX1000 and Canon XL H1A). The camcorder measured an approximate video resolution of 800 line widths per picture height (lw/ph) horizontal and 900 lw/ph vertical.
That would seem to indicate that little to no vertical prefiltering is used for this particular camera, wouldnt it?

-k
knutinh is offline   Reply With Quote