View Single Post
Old 10th June 2020, 04:32   #29437  |  Link
BuddTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post
Just jumping in late on the NVENC/CUDA discussion...
Having GPU Accelerated encoding would be a plus, I can certainly understand why some want it. But I'm fine without it if BD-RB keeps working as well as it does!

I also was interested in GPU Accelerated encoding, but when JDobbs and other explained that there are fewer "quality" settings, compared to sw encoding, and the "best quality" BD-RB software settings gives a better final video, I am no longer interested in GPU Accelerated encoding.

I have two unused, older i7 pc's, attached to a KVM switch, and let BD-RB crank away at the highest possible settings making MKV files. So it takes 3 days or longer to make 1 MKV file using x265. The results are great, and "my" computer is left to do other things.

Now if they ever come out with GPU Accelerated encoding that offered "insane" High Quality video settings, I might be interested, but that might cost several hundred dollars for a video card, I probably would not be in a huge rush to buy such a graphics card, to get the same results I get now, with just waiting several days. Thanks everyone and JDobbs for explaing this!
BuddTX is offline   Reply With Quote