View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2017, 09:55   #25903  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Hmmm... I don't quite understand the 'accurate temporarally' part.
In short, space and time. Temporally accurate means something that originally took 10 seconds, plays back taking 10 seconds. That is the time portion. Spatial accuracy is what I was referring to regarding 59.94 fps vs. 29.97 fps. If the 59.94 fps video contains 59.94 unique images, that is its spatial accuracy. If you convert to 29.97 fps, you cut the spatial accuracy in half. While the time it takes hasn't changed, the number of images that show what happens during that time is reduced.
Quote:
So, are what you are saying is that the ACTUAL frame rate doesn't change, but you can kind of 'fool' the player into playing it faster or slower...?
In a nutshell, yes. That is how slo-mo works. The recording is done at a much higher frame rate and then that file is told to play back at a different frame rate.
Quote:
I THINK you can do something similar to that with MKVMerge with the aspect ratio, right? Can't you change the 'headers' or whatever they are in the file when you remux it that will cause the player to play it in a different AR then the ACTUAL file is in? That would be GREAT if I can figure out how to do that, and I have a strong suspicion that SOMEHOW if I could do that then my OPPO would play the 1440x1080 HD 4x3 files correctly instead of stretching them across the screen. But, I've never quite figured out the secret to that.
Have you tried playing with the three aspect ratio settings in mkvmerge:
Code:
--aspect-ratio <TID:f|a/b>
--aspect-ratio-factor <TID:f|a/b>
--display-dimensions <TID:width>x<height>
Run mkvmerge without any options to get the help output. You should be able to google it as well. There is a really detailed help for this program. I have a printout around here somewhere.

Oh, and you can ask in the Doom9 mkvmerge thread.
Quote:
Also too... Isn't FLAC a good example of what you were talking about where the size is compressed but none of the original information is lost?
Yes
Quote:
And, it seems that I remember that AVI files can be rendered lossless, right? You get a HUGE file, but that is truly lossless, right?
AVI is a wrapper. It is the content that could be lossless. As for AVI wrappers containing lossless codecs, I do not know.

Last edited by MrVideo; 2nd May 2017 at 10:21.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote