View Single Post
Old 18th January 2018, 17:43   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

One of the keys to getting optimal results from motion estimation frame rate changes is to use your own block sizes. In both the code snippets you posted, you failed to do this.

If you look at some of the threads feeding into that FrameRateConverter thread you'll see some MVTools2 code I posted which became one of the benchmarks used to compare the improvements the FrameRateConverter author was trying to achieve. He worked really hard at making improvements and did some very clever things, but I am not convinced that his results are always better than what you can get with MVTools2 or SVPFlow, which is the same code re-worked and slimmed down (features removed) in order to run in real time using a GPU.

I strongly suggest you read through this thread, which discusses many of the issues surrounding frame rate conversion:

SlowMo: Simple slow motion, using interpolation

Slow motion is the exact same thing as changing the frame rate. The only difference is that you add a playback speed change when doing slow motion.

That thread led to this one:

SVP-like frame interpolation?

That thread then led to MysteryX developing FrameRateConverter. You can read about that here:

FrameRateConverter (Official)
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote