View Single Post
Old 15th January 2021, 17:10   #1471  |  Link
aron7awol

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Ok, thanks. But you can't come up any reasonable explanation for it either then let's report it madshi, because for me it doesn't make any sense.
I'm just trying to think about if it actually matters. What is that frame peak value used for? Smoothing algo and as a ceiling for TMing, anything else? Which value is better to use for smoothing, the original peak or the after-DC peak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Agreed: so what shall we do with these 2 during our initial testing?
I vote for:
- let's disable them (I don't think they are needed for "normal" content at all)
- we can play with them after that with the well known scenes

How does it sound?
And this is exactly the dilemma I feel with trying to test some specific combination of settings, or with certain things disabled. They all work together to hit the targets, and so we can't really test them separately and arrive at any great conclusions, and trying to test them all together introduces so many variables.

And this is why even though it may initially sound more complicated, I actually think the simplest approach is to completely forget all the algos and all the complicated combinations of settings, and instead just look at a frame and find the target we want for that frame manually. Nothing more complicated than that. Pretend you are an AI that can analyze this frame and come up with an ideal target for that frame, what would it be? After all, if we could create the perfect algo, isn't that exactly what we would want it to arrive at?

It doesn't matter how exactly we are going to arrive at that target at the end of the day, maybe it's the existing algos, maybe it's a totally new algo, maybe it's a combination of the two. Let's cross that bridge when we get to it. We really need the targets first, to know if the existing algo can work or if it needs to be changed. Otherwise, we're just pigeon-holed into the existing algo and maybe it's impossible to make it consistently hit our targets, and so we're just stuck chasing our tail.

After all, even if you just go start testing with some combination of settings, what's going to happen when you test the first frame? You're going to look at it and decide if you're happy with it or not, right? Is this going to be a simple happy/unhappy question, or are you going to adjust up and down a bit to see if you can find something even better? In any case, inevitably you are going to come across a frame that you are unhappy with the result. What then? Are you going to then adjust DTN up/down to find something that works well for that frame? Once you do, are you then going to go back and test the previous frames that you were happy with with the new DTN and see if you're still happy with them? I hope you know I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely asking what you are thinking as far as how to handle those scenarios during the testing.

Last edited by aron7awol; 15th January 2021 at 18:03.
aron7awol is offline   Reply With Quote