View Single Post
Old 6th May 2019, 00:18   #24  |  Link
rarend

@Emulgator,
I've gotten my Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 to work on three different systems but on each of them I'm now facing the black flickering issue that is being reported by many users of the device while capturing analogue VHS.

One system is my pc with the Renesas chipset and two are HP laptops with an Intel USB 3 eXtensible Host Controller (one of which is a recent HP Z Book).

A comment underneath this Youtube video says that the reason for the flickering is that the reels of a VCR spin at fluctuating speeds, which the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle can't deal with.

Two possible solutions for this problem are given:
1. Get a VCR with a built-in Time Based Corrector, or
2. Pass the analogue signal through a DVD player (via scart), or through a Camcorder like I used to do, and then into the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle.

Before I decide to invest into option 1, I have a few questions about option 2 that I'd like to know your opinion on.

- Quality-wise, would there be any advantage to using a pass-through via scart over a pass-trough via a cam corder?

- Would my capture process benefit in any way from hooking up the shuttle in between my camcorder (or a DVD player) and my pc, compared to connecting the camcorder to my pc directly via firewire like I did before?

@LemMotlow
I haven't received the Diamond VC500 yet, but I'm still planning to give that a try as well.
rarend is offline   Reply With Quote