Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 21st June 2016, 18:48   #1772  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
This is a problem of your own making. You introduced a sorta working 64-bit Avisynth version without making the plugin API properly 64-bit. There were a few x64 plugins before Avs+ but nothing really useful and nobody used 64-bit Avisynth anyway because it was really broken. IanB did the right thing when he fixed those pointer sizes and you should have done it too - it would've been less painful to you early on.
I don't agree. Yes this problem is more pronounced than a year ago because now there are even more 64bit plugins. But even back then there have been more than enough, dozens because I collected links to all of what I could find.

Second, those changes, while "correct" on a theoretical level, bring absolutely zero advantage to any realistic use case or application. At least not unless you have video frames which are each 4GB-sized. Even in the era of UHD this is irrealistic, and so the whole change is unnecessary. Yes I'd have taken size_t for data type too if developing a new interface from scratch, but once you consider you have a far-from-zero existing ecosystem to support and not to break, I wouldn't change to it unless it brings some important (and, importantly quantifiable) technical benefits - which it does not.

Changing something which only causes breakages and brings zero advantages whatsoever, is, I'd argue, inexplicable and questionable, so honestly, I don't see why I should be held responsible for future problems to arise. I can justify my decision like above, unlike the other side which is "I ruin a bunch of things for no gain, but at least this is how I should have done it at the beginning, provided there had been any real benefits."

And besides, our result was not a "sorta working 64-bit Avisynth version without making the plugin API properly 64-bit", but a fully functional one, supporting 64-bits perfectly in the core as well as in the plugin interface. The only 64-bit-related problems we have are not due to errors in the interface, but due to non-64-bit-ready external plugins, for example due to hand-written asm.

Last edited by ultim; 21st June 2016 at 19:20.