Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2016, 02:45   #1778  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Ultim is back; why is there so much aggressiveness in the air?

Quote:
Really, the main problem with Avs+ is that it's based on Avisynth, with all the baggage that comes with that. Just look at pinterf's insane attempts at getting MT to kinda sorta maybe work. The right thing to do is to keep the parts the users care about (i.e. the parts they see, the plugin loading and the scripting language) and throw most of the old garbage out completely. Vapoursynth did this but also threw out the scripting language, so it's more powerful but people don't like it because it's unfamiliar.
I don't agree.

Pinterf's efforts have already paid off in great ways. AviSynth+ MT is very solid.

I don't think learning a new scripting language is a big deal at all. The reason me and many are staying with AviSynth instead of going with VapourSynth is mostly because VapourSynth is still early in its development stage. It has advantages but also lacks features, and most importantly, has much less plugins (although that's growing). Many plugin writers nowadays write it for both. I haven't ported my plugin AviSynthShader to VapourSynth because I haven't used it yet and because it would provide no performance advantage. If VapourSynth was to include audio support and support all the plugins I'm using, I would consider switching over.

There seems to be an ego battle as to who's version we're using. For those who spent so much time developing one of the branches, there's a lot of pride associated to that and it can be hard to let it go to focus on what's best for all.

AviSynth 2.6, AviSynth+ or VapourSynth? I really don't care. Let's just use whatever works best.

I like Pinterf's mindset: just do your stuff and don't care what people think. He wants to add native 16-bit support that way. As long as it doesn't break existing plugins, some plugin developers can use it while others won't. It won't hurt anyone.

About the specific x64 problem, considering that there is no AviSynth 2.6 x64 out there and that AviSynth+ x64, I don't see why put any efforts in releasing a AviSynth 2.6 x64. If he does release it, then it's his job to ensure its compatibility with existing plugins unless he can take responsibility for recompiling every plugin -- which I doubt will go smoothly.

The most important point is to leave our egos on the side. Whether AviSynth has a future is irrelevant. It's here, it is working and it will remain useful to many. It gets better over time, slowly. Will VapourSynth take over AviSynth? Maybe. I hope it so. But that may take a lot of time and AviSynth still can't be replaced in most cases.