View Single Post
Old 7th October 2020, 09:01   #22  |  Link
H2sixty
Not a Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
CRF really isn't meant to be used as a grain removal tool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
there will also be content where real detail gets lost, and artifacts will start to become visible before grain becomes invisible.
i had issues with artifacts & detail retention at first, luckly it didn't stay an issue, toughest issue i had though...

also, as i stated before---\/
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2sixty View Post
i stopped using filters such as nlmeans degrain and nr-inter/nr-intra=x since i finished putting together the custom settings i posted...
(the presets have heavy color banding on higher crf settings, there was no way to use crf to blend with presets)

degraining helped when i started this project, even helped retain detail, but, eventually, at some point, as my settings evolved, it just made loss of detail... i tried some more noise reduction tests and i see loss of detail and accuracy. maybe with the default presets it works better.

i'm all for improvements, however i already tested everything heavily except ip pb ratio settings, i didn't break it down to every possibility... any ip pb ratio ideas? or are the defaults 1.4 1.3 best? does anyone change them?

the animation setting adjusts them, but that adds blending without reducing file size, and in attempt to counter this by lowering crf allows more grain/noise, and well, its meant for cel animation...

i know how to properly use everything. i just found i didn't need to adjust so much for different content.
because without using zones, a single video can have fast motion, slow motion, blended skys or detailed trees or peoples faces close up, fine hairs, to an ocean of fluid water, to little tiny twinkling stars in the dark night sky, all in one video. so one setting for one video was the first goal, then it became a "1 for all" setting.

now with cel animation being an exception i can agree on.
cel animation mixed with detailed backgrounds would be the hardest, adding tskip should help the cel animation flat colors look as one color, etc. maybe deblock of 0,0 (witch i find to be next best to 0,-3...) -1,-1 messes with blending of some grainy content, while 0,0 could bring out better picture, even sometimes more detail. -1,-1 deblock is over rated, but my 3rd choice... (1,1 for cel animation as mentioned before)

[these settings are the result of thousands of encodes, and months of work]

even so, i still would love to improve the "1 setting for all" custom settings.

i just figured why ask questions when i can encode and see for myself, and did a lot of it. just small clips of a few seconds.

as an idea for anyone reading, you can take multiple test clips from same video and combine using MKVToolNix or some other program... good way to mix scenes up, like fast & slow, a scene were good blending is needed, detail, or that impossible dark scene. however choosing a crf value with a small encode doesn't seem to work well. maybe 1 or 2 minutes should be enough for long videos. find a crf good for all scenes, and encode. the way it should be, easy :)
H2sixty is offline   Reply With Quote