View Single Post
Old 14th October 2018, 17:56   #27851  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
The import doesn't create an MKV. It only imports. You then have to select an output mode (like ALTERNATE) and run the job against the BD structure created during the import. You also have to make sure the source selected meets that minimum times specified for imports (see Import/QuickPlay Settings). I think it defaults to 15 minutes...
Ah, you gotta click on "backup" to get the MKV file(s) made. Not obvious, as I wasn't making a backup, per se. Maybe the BACKUP button should be changed to CREATE ALTERNATE, or whatever output mode was selected.
Quote:
Is the DVD structure unaltered from an original disc?
Yes. It was only renamed. Of course, DVD decryption removed as well.
Quote:
I ask because the VOB you gave me isn't consistent with the DVD standard (since it has a variable frame rate). If you are trying to use that one, something has happened to it in between the time it existed on a disc and it was created on the hard drive, and it is just going to fail again.
Like I said, nope. DVDFab and VideoReDo used the disc directly.
Quote:
I may just change the algorithm so that it would use the "Original Frame Rate" when it is specified in the MEDIAINFO output rather than the value it determines from the timecode scan. That way the craziness shown in the VOB you sent me would just be ignored.
That sounds like a great idea. Here's why. On another project (for which I do not have the DVDs anymore), I took the six DVDFab made MKV files and ran them through BDRB, VFR scan disabled. Every one of them ended up with a frame rate of 19.181. The DVD was released in 2011. When VFR scan was allowed, the aspect ratio was 3:2 and five were 59.94 and one was 29.97. All are 23.976 OFR, 2:3 pulldown flagged. I do not believe that DVDFab and VideoReDo are doing it wrong. I do not know what is going on with the time codes, but is appears that they can't be trusted. BTW, the DVD sample that you were working with was from a 2017 release.

Any idea on the 3:2 aspect ratio issue?
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote