View Single Post
Old 4th March 2010, 07:43   #7124  |  Link
RichardB

I'm a newbie to this stuff as well as this forum. So please try to be understanding if I am missing some things that seem elementary to you guys.

The video part of my backup of Batman, The Dark Knight is failing to play on both my PC and my PS3. (Interestingly, if I go to the working files and open the stream, the movie plays on VLC with no problems).

When inserted in the computer the, Power DVD 9 comes up, and the disc copy seems to start fine. But as soon as the WB Home Video logo, and Age Warning logo is over, the image becomes differant shades of gray and magnified and stretched so that only the far left half or so of the screen is shown on the monitor. Throughout the movie the entire image is differant shades of pale gray, with, sometimes some tints of light blue. This pale gray picture and partial image renders the movie unwatchable.

Frustratingly, audio remaions fine and all the special features as well as the disc menu and navigation controls seem to work, with the image being clear and the colors correct when I trigger the appropriate special feature. But, the playback of the actual movie stays pale gray and distorted.

When I try to play the same copy in the PS3 the audio comes through, but after all the pre-movie screens are over, instewad of pale gray, the screen goes completely dark. Similar to the computer playback, I get full audio.. but instead of a grayed out streched partial image I get on the computer, I get absolutely no video image (the screen remains dark). Just like the computer, on the PS 3 I can again pull up the navigation bar and jump around to differant scenes as well as the special features, but this time (unlike the computer) when I go to the "special features" I get the audio and a dark screen.

Incidently, when I went to the computer after the BD-R process was complete there was only a Windows message over the Power DVD 9 welcome screen saying something to the nature that "The DVD was stopped because the graphics card was not adequate". Also, if I go into the "working files" directory and pull up the movie stream, then everything plays fine in VLC!?!

I have tried reinstalling and so far have burned two disks.. only to get the same results.

My computer is a Gateway SX-2840 with an Intel Core i3 CPU (530@2.93 GHZ 4 MB L3 cache) and has 6GB of DDR3 Ram. The computer is new, and completely unmodified except for a Pioneer BDR-205 which I swapped into the old DVD tray.

I still need to learn about how to save these back-ups to hard disk array so I can set up my entertainment system properly and retrieve my media from a server, and I'm also interested in exploring other aspects of this program, like precisely which of the audio options need to be checked in order to preserve the true HD audio of the discs, but all I care about right now is getting the BD-25 to work. That, to me, would be quite an accomplishment.

Any help in non tech wording would be greatly appreciated by this novice.

Last edited by RichardB; 4th March 2010 at 08:34.
RichardB is offline   Reply With Quote