View Single Post
Old 13th January 2021, 09:40   #2392  |  Link
soresu

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
And HDR with 8-bit is much harder. Just encoding Rec 2100 content in 8-bit yields a horrible mess.

And it's challenging to detect full 4K detail in SDR for natural images, and in many cases impossible even by expert viewers. HDR is what makes 4K generally worthwhile for natural images. Seeing the difference between carefully selected 4K and 8K HDR moving images is only possible by expert viewers with 20/10 vision and only on a minority of "stress test" clips.
Ah sorry, I didn't mean using HDR or Rec 2100 for 8 bit.

When I wrote ">10 bpc" I only meant above 10 bpc, not 10 bpc and above.

Some people write > to mean 'more than or equal to', for me it just means 'more than', and >= means 'more than or equal to'. Linguistic consequence of Python dabbling I think.

As to the difference between 2K and 4K being visible without HDR, I would say that depends upon display size and the viewing distance.

IMHO many people get screens too small to even appreciate the resolution uptick from SD to 1080p, and often sit too far away from the screen which only makes the issue worse.

I have a 40 inch 1080p TV which I use as a PC monitor (50 cm away at most), and I can just about see the screen door effect of the pixel separation.

Obviously this gets much worse for a 4K screen, and 8K is never going to be anything but a placebo to the consumer, unless viewing through VR with insane pixel res per eye and the right optics to capitalise on it.
soresu is offline   Reply With Quote