View Single Post
Old 9th January 2018, 07:27   #3071  |  Link
manolito

Thanks MrC for the detailed explanation...

But I found that some things are a little different.

First of all the way to check if the current OS is 32-bit or 64- bit is a hack (which does work though...).

The reg key "HKLM\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0" returns the hardware CPU properties, not the installed OS properties. I tested it under a 64-bit CPU with Win7-32bit installed, and yes, the reg entry does have "x86" in it. Having Win7-64bit installed under the same CPU there is no "x86" string in this reg key. So the routine does work, but it is not very clean.

And I also tested my modified "mscomctl_reg.bat" under Win7, and it did work without problems. Of course I always work under the main admin account, and one of the first things after installing Win7 is always to disable UAC. Double-Clicking the batch file in Explorer (after deleting the already present OCX file in the SysWOW64 folder) resulted in copying the OCX file from the A2D\Lib folder to SysWOW64 and registering it without any problems.

But of course other users will have set up their OS differently, and someone who prefers the noinstall version will most likely have the knowledge to get the mscomctl.ocx registered...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote