View Single Post
Old 4th October 2015, 14:42   #33360  |  Link
aufkrawall

Thanks for the bugfixes and especially the new AS version.

I know that I don't tell you anything new when I speak of the brightness issue the sharpen algorithms have.
This example doesn't have a great video quality, but I think it shows the issue well enough (1080p -> WQHD):

madVR SuperRes (strength 2, radius 0.66):

madVR SuperRes + 0.2 AS (after SR):

Even with this low sharpen strength, some things get noticeably brighter in an inconvenient way and madVR's SuperRes alone doesn't fight the upscaling blur (I don't want to use super-XBR with high sharpness since it has big problems with ringing of the source). FS or LS are even worse.

Shiandow's SuperRes makes the image crispy without altering the brightness in some areas too much:

It has the problem of boosting some lines too much and this can look weird, yes.
But I think this is mostly a problem with very low res content. It's hardly noticeable with 1080p -> WQHD, unlike the increasing brightness with AS.

madVR SuperRes + AS:

Shiandow SuperRes:

For this reasons, I'd be very thankful if you could offer Shiandow's algorithm as an alternative option (e.g. replace the mostly useless radius option with it). Maybe it would be possible to improve sharpens algorithms to prevent brightness issue, but this might consume a lot of time and success maybe isn't granted.
Another reason would be that AS isn't quite cheap. It has been ported to ReShade and it eats up 15% performance of GTX 980 OC, which is a lot on top of SuperRes.
I hope it wouldn't cost too much time to implement it (e.g. in comparison to improving sharpen algorithms), otherwise I wouldn't ask for it.
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote