View Single Post
Old 21st October 2014, 08:15   #5  |  Link
fvisagie

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
it should have been something lower
Agreed. Using this video's Bit rate of 5978 Kbps (the higher of Bit rate and Maximum bit rate for safety's sake), the level actually comes out at 3.1 (calculator attached for reference).

Although I'm no expert but for what it's worth, the large difference between Bit rate of 5978 Kbps and Maximum bit rate of 768 Kbps doesn't look entirely sane.

@matt.k,

I suspect you are (mostly) dealing with a decoder issue, for two reasons. Firstly the fact that the encode plays correctly on some platforms but not on others, and secondly the nature of the glitching. It looks very much similar to what I saw when testing a decoder's limits empirically and giving it videos it couldn't cope with. More specifically, this looks like a decoder unable to properly reconstruct the current frame from constituent reference frames. If you look carefully, you may find that glitching disappears on key frames, or at least doesn't occur there.

There could be various reasons frame reconstruction fails, including insufficient processing power to complete the previous or current frame and/or too few decoded picture buffers. I don't think it is the latter, though - a current decoder should not struggle with this video's 2 reference frames.

Therefore, it could be something like some platforms using software instead of hardware encoding. Perhaps the more recent hardware decoders have different/stricter conformance checking.

If I were you I'd start the investigation by comparing the platforms and looking for similarities and differences in the detail of what they play this with and how.

If all else fails (i.e. you don't find and fix the problem), try to work around it by e.g. trying lower-complexity encodes on the problem platforms. Disabling CABAC might be as good a point as any to start.

After completing the investigation with the problem video, you may also want to ensure future encodes are properly level-flagged to prevent them inadvertently and unnecessarily failing decoders' level checks.
Attached Files
File Type: zip h264levl.zip (3.2 KB, 84 views)
fvisagie is offline   Reply With Quote