View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:28   #8  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessS View Post
I've just found myself at forum.doom9.net (via a google search), and was a little thrown when I was not logged in, tried to login, not possible,
only then noticed that was not on forum.doom9.org. [so is not exactly a mirror of .org], maybe login has been deliberately disabled since Wonkey post.
Doom9.net is just a different (additional) domain name pointing to the exactly same IP address (server) as the Doom9.org domain:

Code:
C:\Users\MuldeR>nslookup forum.doom9.org
Server:  localhost
Address:  ::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    forum.doom9.org
Address:  213.112.23.103
Code:
C:\Users\MuldeR>nslookup forum.doom9.net
Server:  localhost
Address:  ::1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    forum.doom9.org
Address:  213.112.23.103
Aliases:  forum.doom9.net
The reason why you were not "logged in" is because once you are successfully logged in to the forum, a session cookie is put into your browser. From then on, your browser sends this session cookie along with each and every request, so that the forum servers knows who you are and that you already are logged in. But, of course, the cookie is only sent with requests that go to the same site that originally created the cookie.

From your web-browser's point of view, "forum.doom9.org" and "forum.doom9.net" are two distinct sites. So, the session cookie created by "forum.doom9.org" will not be sent to "forum.doom9.net", and vice versa...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 2nd August 2019 at 18:47.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote