View Single Post
Old 19th August 2008, 19:54   #1  |  Link
4evrplan

occasional displaced fields

I have a terrible source captured from 10+ year old VHS, that was created with an old video camera (true interlaced NTSC). I used ffdshow to encode it in Huffyuv YV12. I would like to turn it into something semi watchable. This is a friends home video I'm helping him out with, but I don't know that much, just what I've learned from lurking here for a long time. Processing time is no object; I just want to get the best end result possible.

I know I have to SeparateFields and process even and odd separately (I think I'll keep it interlaced because said friend will eventually use this as raw video for editing and will probably put it on DVDs as gifts to friends and family).

The first hurdle that has me scratching my head is every few seconds, one of the fields is displaced downward four or five lines. Does anyone know how to correct this? That's priority one.

Also, the color and balance of this video are all over the place. Is there a plugin that can automagically even it out?

I'm sure I'll be asking more, but that's enough for me to start with. I will probably be working with intermediate files on this one, fixing one thing at a time, and reencoding to Huffyuv at each step.

EDIT: It's worse than I thought. In at least one place, there are 15 frames in a row with fields displaced downward, and the amount of displacement isn't consistent at all. Could I use some sort of global motion compensation for this, like depan, for vertical motion only with minimal side effect to actual camera panning. I haven't actually tried depan, but I have tried the deshaker for vdub, and I found the side effects to be very distracting. I should also mention that either the tracking is off on my VCR, or else there was garbage introduced somewhere else along the way so that there's a band of really bad noise at the bottom of the frame. I assume I'll have to cut this off before doing any motion analysis, right? Can I analyse a clip with a smaller vertical dimension and apply global motion comp. to the full sized clip?

Last edited by 4evrplan; 19th August 2008 at 20:20.
4evrplan is offline   Reply With Quote