View Single Post
Old 27th November 2015, 00:49   #11  |  Link
shae

Thanks.

I don't find that comparison very informative. Besides the difficult to understand testing criteria and presentation it's not doing any subjective analysis. Is SSIM that helpful? Doesn't color matter? Doesn't it make sense to include UHD when testing H265?

I remember fondly the nice codec comparisons of old (was it here?) of Divx3 vs Divx5 vs Xvid vs..., with screenshots showing problem areas, etc.

Things I'd like to know are more along the lines of, for example, how's banding, how well is "line art" content handled, detail retention in dark areas, any problems in motion, is a given codec better than another in every one of the test samples...

BTW, how crucial is manual tuning nowadays, both of global encode parameters and maybe even scene-specific? Audio encoding is practically "choose bitrate or quality". I still get the sense that video encoding is full of pitfalls, and an ideal encode needs manual work, plus extensive knowledge not only of the codec in general but also of the specific encoder.
shae is offline   Reply With Quote