View Single Post
Old 18th October 2019, 17:57   #16  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
But isn't Floyd–Steinberg dithering just a tad too good to survive the H.264 "macro-block hammer"?
I hope it will survive at BD-tier bitrate.

Quote:
For typical low bitrate web encodes probably it's. For BD with good encodes at relatively high bitrate not necessarily.
Ok, that's what I thought.

Quote:
x264 is good at retaining dither and grain at those bitrates for BD . That's what it's known for
Yep, x264 is my de-facto choice for H.264 encodes and official BD releases, not only 'cause it's open source, but because it's the best.
I say it also 'cause it has been proven to be better than closed-source encodes in terms of SSIM/PSNR/VMAF with tests I've made internally in the company I work for.

Quote:
Works well, but you need to add tiny amount of noise as well and use fairly high bitrate, eg. 30Mbit+.
I've not found anything else as efficient and 'transparent'.

x264's Sierra-2-4A is also ok.
Sure, since it's an official BD, I'm gonna use a two-pass encode with x264.

Quote:
You should use Cineamcraft RGB export in Resolve. Would preserve 12bit, RGB nature and then would be plenty to make BD version.
I see. That would be great 'cause this way I won't have to upscale the chroma when I got to 4:4:4 12bit MJPEG2000 for the cinema version and of course it's gonna be more than enough for the yv12 8bit encode.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote