View Single Post
Old 7th December 2021, 01:49   #62451  |  Link
SamuriHL

Others will indeed eventually catch up. I've already switched my usage to another product at this point. Yes, madvr is still the king of quality. However, on an OLED the quality I get with a different solution is damn good and improving daily. You are correct that the madvr HDR tone mapping updates are NOT one-sided. It was the bargain madshi struck with the community but he made it very clear that it was going to be strictly HDR tone mapping focused until that feature is "done". Several years later and it's still nowhere near complete. What I mean is there are many things that can and eventually will be improved. Just realize that the reason behind it is to improve the Envy to make it more competitive. As long as you accept that and the time limited betas and spending quite a bit of time configuring each one as things change, you can keep an updated madvr HTPC going. How long this bargain lasts is anyone's guess. I have no more desire to chase down that last few percentage of image quality these days. I'm quite satisfied with a solution that simply works without fussing with it.