View Single Post
Old 8th May 2018, 22:18   #1473  |  Link
Actionable Mango

I'm looking for troubleshooting advice. I imported the region locked Terminator 2 3D disc from the UK. I ran it through MakeMKV and BD3D2MK3D, then play back through Plex on the LG TV.

The problem I'm having is that the sound is wonky. Dialog and front L/R channels are very quiet and subdued. If I crank up the volume to compensate, I can hear what people are saying but there is very poor dynamic range. Almost everything sounds very damped and muted.

I say "almost" because on rare occasion there is a rear channel audio effect, and that sounds like it has normal dynamic range. And with the volume cranked way up, it is tremendously loud in relation to everything else.

So the opening battle scene in the Skynet future sounds like this:

Laser, laser, laser, gun, explosion, truck driving by, killer robots, REAR LASER BEHIND YOU, laser, laser, laser, gun, etc.

Because the disc is region locked, I cannot simply pop in the disc and see how it is natively. I did look up a review of this UK disc just to see if there was any mention of poor audio mastering, but audio actually gets high marks.

I've read before that certain HD or lossless audio types are not really supported by one or more tools in my process, and also not supported by my TV's audio return channel (ARC) to the receiver. So I tried BD3D2MK3D's audio conversion option to AAC 5.1, which I know is supported by Plex on my TV (in fact Plex even shows an AAC logo for the ripped title).

But, converted to AAC 5.1 it sounds exactly the same to me, with exactly the same problems. And the theory doesn't make much sense because other titles with HD/lossless audio sound great, or at the very least they sound adequate.

FWIW, I'm having the same or similar problem with my Dredd 3D disc rip, but other titles seem fine. I cannot figure out the difference between Dredd/Terminator 2 and all of my other 3D rips.

Any ideas?

Last edited by Actionable Mango; 8th May 2018 at 22:20.