View Single Post
Old 4th March 2021, 04:43   #61317  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggis999 View Post
I'm now planning to buy a new PC and would appreciate guidance on what configuration would offer the best madVR performance without causing much fan noise. Would a GPU that's more powerful than madVR requires run more quietly than a lower powered GPU that just meets madVR's high end needs?
It's mostly about the cooler, but a more efficient card also will do more work for less heat. If you can get them, a midrange AMD 6000 or Nvidia 3000 should do the trick, but they're extremely hard to get right now. You'll likely be fine with a 1650 Super or something like that, but previous gens don't support HDMI 2.1 so that might be a consideration.

Years ago I used to buy low-mid-range cards (about maybe 70-100W) and replace their coolers with an Accelero S1 so I could run them fanless. After that I just got lazy and the last midrange card I used is a GTX 1650 Super with a pretty basic cooler and it's kinda noisy. Something like an Accelero Mono Plus should work fine for midrange cards. It should still be better than most coolers that come with such cards. You can probably get one with a very nice big cooler included but they're usually more expensive as well.

The thing is that low-midrange cards tend to have low to midrange coolers. I recently could get a 3070 FE and it's silent when running madVR and 4k HDR content because the card is overkill for video, thus its higher TDP cooler doesn't even break a sweat. In fact the fans don't even turn on when playing video at all.

But of course that's a way overkill way to go silent if you're only doing video and not playing games.