View Single Post
Old 24th January 2010, 15:35   #17  |  Link
zilog jones

@pvh1987: VirtualDub will resample the audio to keep it in sync with the video, so this could explain your 10 Hz increase, but I think the resulting audio track is resampled back to the original rate (mine always end up like this anyway, maybe the deviation isn't significant enough in my case, I don't pay too much attention to it...).

I can't explain the weird framerate though. Is this VHS tape in good condition? Is there a lot of noise, or are you getting dropped frames?

I think you should try finding a Philips based capture card if you do want to invest in another one - I think they are a lot less forgiving than the Connexant chips when it comes to VHS and other consumer analogue video formats. I think there are some ATI cards that are supposed to be good too but don't know much about them (there's another recent thread here somewhere discussing comb filters that mentions them).

Did you try checking Pinnacle's website for newer drivers? They might be available through Windows Update too.

MiniDV is another option, you can probably get a used camcorder pretty cheap but make sure it's one with analogue inputs, preferably S-video input in case you get a S-VHS deck.

Quote:
Yes, there are several flavours of VCR, the workhorse is called a feeder - you know, that type that gives you the exact frame even after hundreds of FWD/REW. It doesn't record, because it's a player.
OK, I hadn't heard that terminology before in reference to players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Unicate - well, all family tapes are unicate, because nobody else has a copy of them
Or one-time shows.
Do you mean unique? I don't think "unicate" is a word (it's not in any dictionary I can see anyway).
zilog jones is offline   Reply With Quote