View Single Post
Old 28th November 2020, 01:25   #18755  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
Yes I have plenty of CPU power (Ryzen 3700X) but I'm also using my GPU to encode (2080 Ti). I ran Solo through today but for some reason at CQ20, it came out to 2.3GB... why so small? I got the same result from CQ22.
Sorry stryker412, but a Ryzen 3700X is NOT plenty of power !!!!

I have a 3950X, and would like WAY more grunt !!! (but can't afford better)

Well, I have a very different take on 4K encoding, and have got a fair bit of flack for it...but each to their own, I say !!

So, ALL my 4K encodes are done with 1 pass @ 60,000kbps, so they come out fairly large files.

I will preview each movie to see if it needs an MDegrain "fix", and have several custom filters to do that.

As I only use a USB stick into the TV's usb ports, I need to convert TrueHD (& FLAC) to DTS-MA, and as I like subtitles, I have to convert .sup to .srt's, which is a bit of a pain, but my LG TV doesn't support these format's.

So I'm actually ONLY processing the video track, with RipBot.

I haven't used RB for a long time, as I have been trying to organise my storage system (which keeps failing me).

I have to agree with Ryushin with his comments on what MDgrain can do to "dirty" grainy movie, I ran "The Fifth Element" thru with, it might have been MDgrain 4, and even though it took days to process, it was an awesome result !!!

So like I said, each to their own settings & preferences, you figure out what works for you, and stick to it, regardless of anyone else !!!!