View Single Post
Old 1st December 2020, 15:57   #60891  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I am literally Paraphrasing out of a colorimetry textbook. The goal of colorimetry is Good Looking colors. There is a separation between what colorimetry IS, and the GOAL of colorimetry.
OK I get this, I also get that many meters don't give 100% repeatable results and when you're not sure between two not 100% accurate results it's better to go with the most pleasing, and also that displays drift and have other weaknesses (I still have a plasma, so trust me I know about that), what I meant was that 'good looking' is kinda subjective, and you guys' subjective idea of that notion is simply closer due to experience to a studio mastering technician's when they grade a consumer release, than to someone's who just buys a TV and puts it into torch mode because it 'looks great'.
The goal is to be good looking, but the means by which we try to achieve that goal is to try to approach accuracy as much as possible. With some modern TVs, putting them in the right factory mode may be the only thing that's needed, and meters may not be 100% accurate but I've yet to see a display that looks worse after tuning it with any meter than before it, and if you just keep the factory "best mode" that will also drift with time.
HDR is of course a whole different subject as no consumer display is even currently capable of fully matching the spec.