View Single Post
Old 28th February 2010, 17:43   #7065  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before or has affected anyone else, but a recent full movie backup of the region A version of A Serious Man, to BD-9 had something I have never experienced before.
This movie has BD Live, and the AnyDVD HD rip keeps it working.( It is not disabled ) When the movie starts playing on the PC, it states that a fresh preview is being loaded from the internet, and then starts playing. When finished, returns to the main menu and when I select play the movie, it starts and plays perfectly fine.
Since I don't watch my movies this way I burn to DVD+R DL and watch on my Sony S360. The burn goes successfully with ImgBurn, but when I start the disc in the Sony S360, it starts to load and shows the play >, but only a black screen and no time clock moving.
Out of curiosity, I try this same disc on my older Sony BX-1, and now it works and starts to play, but no fresh preview is loaded from the internet, but just straight to the main menu. Press play movie, and all works perfectly.
So now I want to try again on the newer Sony S360, but first I remove the ethernet cable and 2GB memory stick, and now the disc works and plays the movie perfectly!
Could BD Live not be compaible with AVCHD/DVD media?
I have not tried but a few BD5/9 full movie backups, but usually do movie only. My full backups have been to BD-R/RE.
Perhaps this could be the cause of some reported "bugs", when in fact BD-RB is not the reason.
I haven't been removing BD-Live, and as yet haven't had issues. I have "A Serious Man", and will see what happens when I back it up. There was a similar report a few pages back where selecting "Remove BD Live" in AnyDVD fixed an issue. It could be that I should recommend that all rips have that setting enabled... I'll test and see.

This certainly seems to have all the earmarks of someone using "BD Live" as a copy protection mechanism, doesn't it?

Last edited by jdobbs; 28th February 2010 at 17:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote