View Single Post
Old 10th February 2017, 17:50   #3  |  Link
tablerocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho2004 View Post
What buttons?
Ok sorry I was not exact enough. We're talking about Lame XP Version 4.14 Final-1 Build 1934.
I tested it and the buttons are actually called "Add File(s)" "Remove" and "Clear" at the bottom of the "Source Files" tab in the english version.

The complain is only about the translation of the "Clear" button.

The functionality of the button "Clear" is exactly like "Remove", but for all files. So "Remove all" would also be appropiate.
Accordingly in german "Entfernen" and "Alle entfernen" would fit.

Now "Alle entfernen" is a bit long. As alternative translation "Leeren" would be ok. It is comparable to the english "Clear" in the meaning of "to empty".

I don't know if you are a german native speaker, but "Löschen" is definitive a wrong translation in this context, as "Löschen" always means something like "remove it from your harddisk" if you're speaking about computer files. It is stronger than "Entfernen". Yes, they often can be interchanged (e.g. clear cache - which actually deletes files), but in this context it is confusing. I was always hesitating to use that button because of unclear functionality.

By the way it is inconsistent anyway. If you click the File menu, the menu item with the same functionality as the "Clear" button has another icon and is named "Clear all". Why not the same?

Summary:
1. Rename "Löschen" to either "Leeren" or "Alle entfernen"
2. Rename the corresponding file menu item exactly the same and give them the same icons.

Greets,
tablerocker

p.s.: If you look at the suggested translations from the Microsoft Glossary and translate them back, they all do not fit here:
Aufheben - unset
Löschen - delete
Deaktivieren - deactivate
If you're really into this Glossary you may name it "Alle aufheben". But honestly, would you name it "unset all" in english?

p.p.s.: If that's not enough, look at the translations for the verb "clear". The first one (=most used) fitting in the right meaning in the sense of "to empty" is the german "Leeren".

Last edited by tablerocker; 10th February 2017 at 17:55. Reason: Added Info
tablerocker is offline   Reply With Quote