View Single Post
Old 18th June 2010, 01:01   #6  |  Link
BigDid
Actually in reserve

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibus View Post
Hi guys, I could use some help denoising my Wolverine bluRay. It's very grainy and what I usually use isn't cutting it.

I usually just apply a light MVdegrain via this SMDegrain script:
Code:
SMDegrain(tr=1, thSAD=200)
But unfortunately when I raise the value higher than 200 it adds blockiness to the picture during fast motion scenes (present with 1080p and resized 720p):
I don't want to obliterate the grain and detail, but I would like to be able to increase the denoising higher than the thSAD=200 screenshot shows.
I agree with onesloth, begin with trying tr=2 or tr=3 (I usuallly prefer using tr=3 but could be a matter of taste).
Difference will be slower (tr=2) to even more slower (tr=3) with very good to good details retention.
Smdegrain uses Mvtools/Mdegrain processing 1 frame before/after (tr1), 2 frames (tr2) or 3 frames(tr3).

If not enough, you can also increase the thsad to 300/400/500 or higher if needed (I just stop around 500);

With theses values, blocking is not uncommon; if so and if you encode with x264, try increasing the noise/deblocking parameter (if it was -2,-2 try 0,0 and so forth) if not x264, try some deblocking function or script.

Did

Edit: Didée's approach is also to consider; I just wanted to stay simple
BigDid is offline   Reply With Quote