View Single Post
Old 13th April 2013, 14:58   #1  |  Link
illCP

DGIndexNV - block artifacts in DVB-S2 H.264-stream

Hello,

I'm pretty sure this is not concerning DGIndexNV directly (more to that below), but as it bothers me the most here:

I'm experiencing block artifacts in a h.264-TS when decoding it with DGIndexNV 2044. It's a DVB-recording from BBC HD (Astra 28.2E) a couple of months ago, recorded with yaVDR 0.4. I've uploaded a small sample containing the affected position (cut from the original VDR-TS with TSDoctor):

http://www.mediafire.com/?rb59vbubam4an44

The problem appears from frame 114 to 121, mainly in the left bottom corner - see attached screenshot. I admit it's not a huge disaster because it's barely noticeable, but it points to a decoder problem.

At first I assumed it might plain and simple be an error in the stream, caused by bad satellite reception, the VDR itself or whatever, but I wondered why TSDoctor didn't report an error or a warning. Then I noticed some DirectX-filters/-decoders are showing the scene without any error. I did further checking on that and discovered the following pattern:

OK, no artifacts:

- MainConcept 8.5.0.53.657 on MPC-HC 1.5.1.2903
- LAV filters 0.56, CUVID disabled on MPC-HC
- CoreAVC 3.0.1, CUDA disabled on MPC-HC
- VLC 2.0.5 (as far as I know VLC uses its own decoders and no DirectShow-filters?)

Error, artifacts:

- DGIndexNV 2044
- LAV filters 0.56, CUVID enabled on MPC-HC
- CoreAVC 3.0.1, CUDA enabled on MPC-HC

So it seems the problem appears whenever CUDA is involved, software-based decoding seems to be fine. My problem here: As a matter of principle DGIndexNV is not designed to turn off CUDA...

My System:

Windows 7 x64
nVidia GTX 550 Ti (two of them to be precise) with driver version 314.22 (just updated yesterday to be on the safe side)

Any ideas?
Attached Images

illCP is offline   Reply With Quote