View Single Post
Old 20th March 2018, 18:50   #49641  |  Link
brazen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
It would be nice if someone could clarify the requirements for 3D. I always try to pass this on to others. It started out much simpler.
As far as what? Assuming you play 2D, SBS and TAB require nothing more than a 3D display. Containers are where complications arise, mainly frame packed MVC.

A 3D.mkv will still play anywhere a 2D will but you will not have menus. A 3D.iso (frame packed IE) requires a compliant player. MPC players are compliant using madVR + LAV Filter decoding without menus. PDVD is the only other player afaik and it's with menus. A way to mount the iso is a consideration. W10 has this built in. Other O/S's do not. Some players have a built in virtual mount, some don't and require one is added and to mount and dismount automatically. Either way, both use a drive letter visible or invisible.

With AMD, it's reported their drivers sort everything out properly and automatically. Whether or not this is true or other caveats remain, I do not know.

Intel graphics requires HDMI 1.4 and 2.0 is not backwards compatible. Considering UHD requires 2.0 minimum, users have to choose one or the other or manually swap ports.

Nvidia requires stereoscopic enabled globally (Windows O/S) AND NVidia control panel stereoscopic enabled. I assume madVR 'when playing 3D content (engage)' is global only) and why I need to use a .bat (front end initiated for automation) to auto switch instead of manual switch nvstlink.exe aka stereoscopic in NCP.

FSE vs windowed is hit or miss recommending FSE works for everyone and windowed works for some only. May be specific to GPU versions and not necessarily shared drivers.

Can't think of anything else pertinent unless you have a specific question?

Last edited by brazen1; 20th March 2018 at 19:10.
brazen1 is offline   Reply With Quote