View Single Post
Old 6th September 2013, 21:36   #5  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApTeM View Post
I have quite an intense video clip (MJPEG, 640x480@30fps) of a stormy weather with the furious rain and wind, and even at the highest possible bitrate for this resolution (2850Kbit/sec) the resulting video in HEVC still misses a lot of details. Maybe my source isn't exactly compressible, who knows?

What's your experience with DivX HEVC implementation?
Just FYI, the DivX implementation was already brought up here. And yes, the results haven't been too mind-blowing yet. That said, I wonder how much more information, settings and other things can be picked out of the actual MainConcept encoder included (mc_enc_hevc.dll) that is used in the background. After all, it does export some functions and I wouldn't be surprised if with some code you would be able to encode without the DivX application itself in the middle .

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
HEVC is new that is why. Has the standard even been finalised yet? HEVC now is probably where h264 was in say, 2005.
Yes, the HEVC standard has been finalized. ISO/IEC is just taking it slow for whatever reason and thus they still don't have the spec ratified on their side, but ITU-T has already ratified it in April as H.265 (spec). Bit stream was more or less frozen in January. And yes, both sides are ratifying the exact same document ^^; .

And it's more like 2003. Or possibly 2004, since the implementations are maturing somewhat faster than with AVC/H.264 .