View Single Post
Old 24th April 2015, 22:19   #54  |  Link
mademoisellesocal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApTeM View Post
Tons of old point and shoot cameras record video at 15 frames per second. I really really doubt that the hardware which is capable of playing FullHD@30fps HEVC streams cannot properly decode 1024x768 videos encoded at a half frame rate.

Then again, your CLI encoder doesn't produce HEVC videos (so "certification" and such are not the things to really care about), it only produces raw HEVC video streams.

So leave the choice to the user please.

One last question: your CLI encoder doesn't have any notion of 2 passes encoding and CRF encoding which is kinda counterintuitive 'cause I really don't know what to expect from the encoding based on average bitrate.

Yes, definitely there is content from some devices at 15fps and devices should be able to play that frame rate, but it wouldn't be within the DivX HEVC profile specs. My point about content was more about content distribution, especially in the case of something like 4K where high quality on large screens is a key consideration.

FWIW, we have a backlog item to allow custom frame rates for HEVC output from DivX Converter later in the year (definitely for the GUI; I need to check on if this will be available in DivXEngine.exe also). I brought this up to our PMs and they're reviewing the possibility of adding non-profile-compliant encoding like lower frame rates to the DivX265 encoder as well.
mademoisellesocal is offline   Reply With Quote