View Single Post
Old 30th May 2016, 17:49   #218  |  Link
e-t172

After some experiments I've noticed that the way 3DLUTs and GPU gamma curves work can be a bit counter-intuitive at times. I have a suggestion:

Change:

Quote:
calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files: Use a calibration package such as Argyllcms, Calman, or LightSpace to generate a 256x256x256 3DLUT to perform a full calibration. For Argyllcms see this AVS Forum thread, for Calman, or for LightSpace.
disable GPU gamma ramps: This disables the Windows calibration or monitor profile. It affects everything displayed, not only madVR. madVR will restore the profile when it is closed. This option changes its behavior when using the 'rendering -> general settings' option 'enable windowed overlay' to only apply to madVR because madVR is emulating the gamma ramps in that case.
To:

Quote:
calibrate this display by using external 3DLUT files: Use a calibration package such as Argyllcms, Calman, or LightSpace to generate a 256x256x256 3DLUT to perform a full calibration. For Argyllcms see this AVS Forum thread, for Calman, or for LightSpace. If the provided 3DLUT file contains calibration curves (e.g. in the case of ArgyllCMS, the collink "-a" or "-H" options were used), madVR will load the calibration curves into the system-wide GPU hardware gamma ramps, which affects everything displayed, not just madVR. madVR will restore the original gamma ramps (if any) when it is closed.
disable GPU gamma ramps: Clears system-wide GPU gamma ramps (monitor calibration), if any, replacing them with linear (no-op) curves. This affects everything displayed, not just madVR. madVR will restore the original GPU gamma ramps (if any) when it is closed. This option changes its behavior when using the 'rendering -> general settings' option 'enable windowed overlay' to only apply to madVR because madVR is emulating the gamma ramps in that case. This option has no effect if a 3DLUT file that contains calibration curves is loaded (see above).
(I also took the liberty of avoiding the term "profile", which is confusing because an ICC profile contains more than just calibration curves.)

Last edited by e-t172; 30th May 2016 at 17:59.
e-t172 is offline   Reply With Quote