View Single Post
Old 4th July 2017, 19:33   #165  |  Link
Sir Didymus

<<
...Maybe I am wrong but the way I understand the specs is that blank cells do not have any payload and consequently it doesn't matter whether they are or not part of the existing PGC/VOB...
>>

Indeed, your understanding is shallow. Using your terminology, cells without "payload" simply do not exist on real DVDs. Of course when they are properly authored. Even when a cell is "blank", it must be always, by definition, a playable unit. Different is the case when bad (or totally screwed) authoring is in place intentionally to implement copy protection schemes. Infact, programs such as PgcEdit and others are able to add consistently blank cells to the PGCs of DVDs as new VOBs. These cells are blank, but not void: they contain a single playable VOBu, including a NavPack, a single GOP composed by a single I-frame consisting of a black picture and (I think) some padding bytes.

Apart the above details, I am fully in line with the answers already provided by r0lZ on the matter: there is no point to enable PgcEdit to create rubbish...

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 4th July 2017 at 20:02.
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote