View Single Post
Old 13th July 2019, 23:46   #8  |  Link
qyot27
...?

I actually did have to use MPEG-2 a couple months ago when re-authoring a DVD from PAL->NTSC. Of course, I also did a separate HEVC Main10 encode for desktop playback, but I still used HCenc to prepare it for AVStoDVD. Aside from that, I hadn't had a need to do so in several years. Most of my need for using MPEG-2 and authoring DVDs in the past was related to my computer at the time being too old to handle H.264 in nearly any configuration; I bought a mini-PC in October 2015 that was more than capable of playing back 1080p H.264, even 10-bit, and my need to transcode stuff so I could watch it on my TV pretty much evaporated.

Blank BD-Rs are fairly inexpensive, though. At least if you want just 25GB and nothing special; of course, you still have to pay a premium for M-Discs, but run-of-the-mill ones? You can get a 50pk spindle of single layer BD-Rs for ~$20. I use them for data archives, but with the single-file playback capabilities of some Blu-ray players, you might be able to get away with it from a disc instead of a flash drive.

I played around with x262 a couple times, and it was promising, but I never moved to using it in any grand fashion.
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote