View Single Post
Old 13th January 2017, 07:21   #25499  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuts View Post
hi

i have two mkv movie files that have a truehd 7.1 track. according to the listing on blu-ray.com these also have a dolby atmos track. i don't see that listing in my mediainfo app. i use bdrebuilder cause the two mkvs have a resolution of 1920 and a number close to 1080. for example 804. id like to burn these for more convenience. these are color regraded copies so i'd like to archive these. the size of both of these mkvs look like they can be put on bd25's. everytime i use bdrebuilder using these instructions i got from a friend who does the same thing the resulting bd folder's movie file has only dolby ac3 5.1. i can play the original mkv in truehd 7.1 so i don't think there's a incompatibility issue. here are my settings:

custom target size: 24200mb
high priority
highest very slow
one pass ABR encoding

i thought i read on the faq that if you set your settings to encode to bd50 it will retain the truehd 7.1. i tried that last night and i woke up to find that it still only had the ac3 5.1 track.

here's the log file for when i tried to make a bd50. unfortunately i can't find a log file for when i last tried to make a bd25 for this mkv. but if you need one lemme know. thanks in advance!!!
Well, 2 things I notice right away:

1. when a Blu-ray is rendered into an MKV file and also happens to have a TrueHD audio track, the AC3 core is ALWAYS ripped out. What that means is that when you then go from the MKV back to a playable Blu-ray or a BDMV folder, all that remains is just an AC3 @640 track. This took me a while to learn when I kept encountering all these TrueHD audio tracks, and apparently like you, I also like to keep the full HD audio if possible.

The ONLY way that I know to go from MKV to Blu-ray and retain the full TrueHD audio is to use a free program called eac3to. I use the GUI or interface with it called UsEac3to. When you drop the full MKV into the interface, in the dropdown menu where you 'read' the existing tracks, you choose the 'TRUE' track. Next to it in the dropdown menu you then choose the 'TRUE + AC3' option, which is the form in which you will be rendering it. THAT way, the resulting audio track will have the full TrueHD audio WITH the AC3 core put back in. NOW, you can then use this restored track and drop it in another free program TSMuxer (which BDRB uses in reconstructing the BDMV folder) and now it WILL keep the full HD audio.

Also, 2. When you have an illegal AR like 1920x800 (that means that the normal black bars in the full Blu-ray have been cropped out) remember that your Blu-ray player may NOT play the picture properly. My OPPO Blu-ray player will NOT if the AR (aspect ratio) is not a fully legal 1920x1080. Otherwise, what it does is STRETCH the picture to fill the screen since the black bars that would normally border the picture are gone. So, with my OPPO I absolutely CANNOT do that. I CAN get away with it IF the AR is 1.85:1 by changing the playback on my player to render the screen in a 4x3 Letterboxed mode. But, that does NOT work with the much more common 2.35:1 and 2.40:1 AR seen in most movies.

That is the trouble that I run into a LOT when I, uh, 'come across' certain MKV files where the black bars have been stripped out. In those cases I have 2 choices. 1) I can give up the full HD audio (because my OPPO ONLY plays HD audio within BDMV folders, NOT in MKV files) and just play the MKV's on my player as is. Or 2) I can re-encode the video and put the black bars back in using either BDRB or more simply the CMD line using x264. But, unfortunately, that means an additional re-encoding which isn't ideal. I HAVE to do one or the other if I want to be able to play the movie and have it look right.

I hope that that made some sense and I hope that it helps...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote