View Single Post
Old 24th December 2016, 15:53   #41714  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
PC mode is a special mode on some TVs which turns off many of it's processing 'features'. On my LG plasma for example, if I name the HDMI input as 'PC', almost all of the 'fluff' like dynamic contrast etc is greyed out.

Unless you put your TV into PC mode, it is almost certainly converting an RGB signal into YCbCr (and probably 4:2:2 or maybe worse, 4:2:0) to do all it's processing, and then converting again to RGB for final display.

In PC mode, you may or may not avoid this conversion process - to use my TV as an example again, in PC mode, all of the stuff I don't use anyway is greyed out, leaving only the basic controls and the CMS, but I have no idea whether it's bypassing this RGB-YCbCr-RGB process, all I know for sure is in PC mode it passes the 4:4:4 test (if not in PC mode, it shows 4:2:2, a clear indicator that it's converting an RGB signal into YCbCr).
My tv is lg 65ef9500 and has pc mode option. (Disable options like trumotion, noise reduction, mpeg noise reduction, etc). I use PC mode + UHD Deep Color for 4k 60mhz.
I did the 444 test and I passed it. And without PC mode (only HDMI) I also did the 444 test and passed it too...

You say that the RGB signal arrives at the TV and then the TV converts it to yCbCr again? I'm already very confused again ...

Last edited by Oguignant; 24th December 2016 at 16:01.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote