View Single Post
Old 20th January 2006, 14:16   #25  |  Link
Morte66
Flying Skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morte66
Now I can compare Nero to FAAC to iTunes to AutoUV's Ogg encoder.
Some completely unscientific, subjective and personal feelings on the results of re-encoding AC3 192...

- HE-AAC 96 sucks, but it's half the size. You pays your bitrate and you takes your choice. I think this encoder has no place in backup to DVD-R if you care enough about sound to read this post. But it might be a godsend at 64-96kbps if you want to encode a movie to CD size.

- FAAC VBR 100% dropped the size by about a third and sounded pretty close to the original. Workflow was painless. If you want to drop six channels of AC3/DTS to two, or to encode LPCM, this is straightforward with good results. It's better value in "quality per kbps" terms than stereo AC3, but I think I'd just remux the source -- it's a luxury, but no biggie on DVD-R.

- iTunes AAC is better than FAAC, but only a little. If you care about a difference this small, you probably ought to keep the original audio. Workflow is inevitably clunkier with MeGUI since you have to go outside.

- Current Ogg builds (not the obsolete official Vorbis encoder) are about level with AAC for quality@bitrate, but give you the organic tone of Ogg instead of the "gleaming" AAC sound. Each to his own. Again, a bit clunky with MeGUI.

Last edited by Morte66; 20th January 2006 at 14:35.
Morte66 is offline   Reply With Quote