View Single Post
Old 8th May 2019, 22:37   #26  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

rarend, you need a S-VHS deck with TBC, and one that doesn't smooth too much.
The non-S-VHS decks (Sony up to SLV-E1000) I tried brought chroma 1 line offset, and/or were too smoothened.

Here I am using a Panasonic NV-HS950 which has TBC and 3DNR built-in.
Not having been into VHS at all I paid whopping 1699DM for it back then and it slowly became worth it...today.
I have its service manual here, and was inside for repairing loading gear pulley.
It is a huge bergwerk, 136 pages...maybe someone likes to read up here in this thread ;-) ?
Page 65 of the block schematics shows in section 3-18 referring to 3-51 ..3-54
the max what one can do with poor old VHS.
The video processing signal chain is an-in-all dream team:
(Head amp and following usual processing omitted for clarity)
IC2: Motorola SC371024CFU S-VHS Y processor
MN are Matsushita ICs (Panasonic is only a brand name under Matsushita):
IC3: MN67152 Video 8-bit ADC/DAC.
IC4: MN7A097B2C Digital 3D Y/C Separator.
It has a internal line memory interface talking to chip-internal line memory.
Further it contains a frame memory interface using 8 address lines
and sending/receiving 8bit lines to/from

IC7: MN47V77S (256KiBx8 external memory)
IC6: TI F432536PH Time Base Corrector with Burst Replace and Sync Replace.
Just found one for sale. ~53€ at the moment

All these chips are discontinued, with the demise of analog videotape there was no reason anymore to make such expensive rarities in sufficient quantities.
So the chance of such vintage & elaborated video signal chain being contained in recent and affordable BM is rather.. well... sparse ?
It is called Blackmagic for a reason ;-) I haven't opened it yet. But now I am curious. I will now.
Best is to let a dedicated hi-end S-HVS deck take care of that delicate task.

This is what you want.
It keeps all detail, including graininess from source/tape.
Later you can avisynth it all away if you like so.
Additionally I experienced the 3DNR helping with full-frame flicker.

Quote:
- Quality-wise, would there be any advantage to using a pass-through via scart over a pass-trough via a cam corder?
SCART? I can't talk about that.
As even the most expensive SCART connectors continued to pop out of their receptacles
I got rid of them, didn't use it at all.
If you fare better with a deck delivering composite or component to capture:
You got to try and find out which device has the better filters implemented, deck or capture card !
With a mini-DV camcorder the black flicker might go away, see TBC. Sony's mini-DV Camcorder have a perfectly working TBC built-in, IMHO...But I what happens during the conversion ? You might trade in 4:2:2 chroma and get back 4:2:0 I guess. And it is 8 bit to start with. The shuttle would be unnecessary because the mini DV did the (down)conversion already.
Quote:
- Would my capture process benefit in any way from hooking up the shuttle in between my camcorder (or a DVD player) and my pc, compared to connecting the camcorder to my pc directly via firewire like I did before?
If the shuttle does not apply TBC then I see no benefit of inserting if you intend to capture per DV-AVI anyway.

P.S.: If all this is for your fieldshifted 25p sample: You need to capture 4:2:2 and keep it such until it hits Avisynth !
No 4:2:0 DV-AVI in-between !

And this is why the S-VHS deck with line-and-frame TBC becomes unavoidable and irreplaceable anyway.

Last edited by Emulgator; 9th May 2019 at 19:09.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote