View Single Post
Old 1st August 2009, 19:08   #945  |  Link
ohmy

Hi!

I'm new to DVD creation, and wanted to find a free, usable solution. Now I see there are no simple solutions, but AVStoDVD is getting closer.
If I can have some suggestions:

I'm using AVStoDVD 2.2.1 and trying to create a simple DVD with no menus from PAL DV videos. The DV tape has been copied into multiple files
(every scene change means a new file), so a 70 min DVD can include more than 50-100 files.

This gives two problems:
1. If the number of files is bigger than 99, AVStoDVD writes an "out of range" error.

2. The bigger problem is Muxman, which is muxing the sound and video. It seems, that it cannot mux more than 64 file, so I got this error after the successful encoding
of 77 file:
-- PGC "VMG_Lu1_Pgc1" Pre command group has 154 commands, maximum is 128.

And the job is cancelled after that.
I used Muxman gui, to add all the audio and video files, and it created the DVD, but I couldn't find where to add chapters and strangely the audio was out of sync.

After a week I found the solution to my problem, and created the DVD. I had to make 3 big file from the 99 small one using Virtualdub. On the DVD each file means a new DVD title, is there an option to change this?
I can only see chapters/title.

MediaInfo bug:
GSpot recognises the correct dar: 16/9.
MediaInfo GUI seems to recognise it too: 16/9.
But in AVStoDVD MediaInfo couldn't recognise the correct aspect ratio, so AVStoDVD tried to make 4/3 video.

I had to manually delete all Video.AddBorders(24,0,24,0) rows, and alter the VideoAspectRatio: 0 to VideoAspectRatio: 1.

If MediaInfo is not reliable (and I think it's not), an option would be good to change the aspect ratio for ALL files in one step
manually before DVD creation.

I searched for a day, which encoder, HcEnc or QuEnc gives better quality at highest DVD bitrates. I'm still not sure. So gave it a try. I set HcEnc OVP option in preferences, locked the
bitrates, than pushed the OK button. But after the START button, QuEnc was used. I looked at the avs script file, and it had HcEnc written in it. Still QuEnc was used.

HcEnc worked only after I pushed "save as defaults" in the preferences dialog. It's confusing.

While having unsuccessful tries in DVD creation, I was too lame to find how AVStoDVD can be stopped. While it's easy to accidentaly push stop in QuEnc, or HcEnc and have a bad DVD because of it,
AVStoDVD doesn't have a Stop option. I always had to kill it Task Manager.

Other than these issues, your program seems to do the job, and it's better than other solutions. Thanks!
ohmy is offline   Reply With Quote