View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 15:31   #2022  |  Link
MrC
AVStoDVD Dev

Hi Pawpcorn,

probably you have not read so carefully the links I've posted before ;-)

The issue with subtitles taken from DVD (idx/sub) is not so easy to solve. Those idx/sub subtitles come with their own palette map (colors and index) and this palette map can vary from DVD to DVD (hence from idx/sub to idx/sub). That's why sometimes you will get a final DVD with black/white subtitles (original idx/sub are compliant with the palette.txt generated by AVStoDVD) and sometimes you will get blue/red (or purple/green, or whatelse) subtitles.

That's why it is usually recommended to open the "subs messed up" DVD with PgcEdit and correct only the wrong colors (foreground and outline). But they can be in every position in the PgcEdit colors lookup table. Unfortunately there's no general rule for idx/sub palette maps, or at least none that I have already discovered. Obviously I am open to suggestions how to improve this aspect.

The standard palette.txt used by AVStoDVD is designed for srt to sup conversion using SubtitleCreator. And for idx/sub subtitles taken from DVD created by AVStoDVD (starting from srt). But not for idx/sub taken from unpredictable sources, including commercial DVDs.

I hope to have better clarified the issue.

Bye

AVStoDVD Homepage
AVStoDVD @ Doom9 Forum
MrC is offline   Reply With Quote