View Single Post
Old 17th May 2012, 18:19   #2023  |  Link
Pawpcorn

VOB subtitle colors....

Hi, MrC! Thanks for writing back!

You wrote: "But they [wrong subtitle colors] can be in every position in the PgcEdit colors lookup table." OMG!

So you are saying that when loading various future DVD project results into PgcEdit, and looking at the Sub-Picture Color Lookup Table, that Color 0 won't always refer to the outline, and Color 1 won't always refer to the character color, as has been the case, so far, in my projects?

And thus... the palette file I created may or may not work, in the future? (it HAS worked reliably on a couple projects, so far... but I've only tried it twice so far )

When I load the standard AVStoDVD palette file into PgcEdit... I see
Color 0 is 100% saturated BLUE, and
Color 1 is 100% saturated RED,
Color 2 is 0% lum Black, and
Color 3 is 100% lum WHITE.

I would surmise then, that since you said the AVStoDVD palette design is based upon "srt to sup conversion using SubtitleCreator", and since ONLY blocks 2 and 3 are black and white blocks, that in your test DVD projects, color 3 is assigned as the character color, and color 2 is assigned as the outline?

In my projects so far, Color 0 has been outline, and Color 1 has been character color; but I know you pointed out that it's your understanding that this is not always the assignment, eh?

By the way, I want to mention that in addition to the idx/sub subtitles, I ALSO always include a second subtitle, an .srt subtitle, into every project... and these always come out white with black outline, no problem.

One additional possible point of interest, may be that I am not ripping the VOB idx/sub Subtitles off of DVDs, but rather using external idx/sub files that were extracted from BlueRay DVDs that I then run through the BDSup2Sub401.jar VOB subtitles program, to convert them to PAL DVD size, and also to move the subtitle positioning into a uniform consistent position... So... if the BDSup2Sub401.jar program alters the idx/sub color information in some ways... I may be introducing some degree of consistency into the data contents of the .idx/sub subtitles of my DVD projects, through this filtering process...

Maybe in my projects, Color 0 will always be for outline, and Color 1 will always be for character color...?!

Gads, confusing stuff, to be sure...

Thanks for your patience,
Pawpcorn

Maybe I'll be lucky... and my little vts01_ttn01.txt palette batch file will work every time, hahhaha....

Thanks again, Mr.C
Pawpcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrC View Post
Hi Pawpcorn,

probably you have not read so carefully the links I've posted before ;-)

The issue with subtitles taken from DVD (idx/sub) is not so easy to solve. Those idx/sub subtitles come with their own palette map (colors and index) and this palette map can vary from DVD to DVD (hence from idx/sub to idx/sub). That's why sometimes you will get a final DVD with black/white subtitles (original idx/sub are compliant with the palette.txt generated by AVStoDVD) and sometimes you will get blue/red (or purple/green, or whatelse) subtitles.

That's why it is usually recommended to open the "subs messed up" DVD with PgcEdit and correct only the wrong colors (foreground and outline). But they can be in every position in the PgcEdit colors lookup table. Unfortunately there's no general rule for idx/sub palette maps, or at least none that I have already discovered. Obviously I am open to suggestions how to improve this aspect.

The standard palette.txt used by AVStoDVD . And for idx/sub subtitles taken from DVD created by AVStoDVD (starting from srt). But not for idx/sub taken from unpredictable sources, including commercial DVDs.

I hope to have better clarified the issue.

Bye
Pawpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote