View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:00   #2030  |  Link
Pawpcorn

Dear Mr.C,

Remember how you pointed out to me in an earlier message how various VOB subtitles could have different color block assignments... and that there was no set pattern to that?

Well, I had that very thing happen, in this last project.
Subtitle #1 (processed .srt) used COLOR 2 for OUTLINE, COLOR 3 for CHARACTER (as always).. BUT...
Subtitle #2 (VOB sub/idx) used COLOR 0 for OUTLINE, COLOR 2 for CHARACTER !!!

Thus the black OUTLINE of the .srt subtitles created a black CHARACTER on the VOB subtitles!

Natch, PgcEdit couldn't fix this problem, since it was an issue of cross-assignment of the same color block, for different purposes.

I submitted a query here in the doom9 subtitle forum, and got back the advice of downloading and trying SubtitleCreator to reassign the VOB color block assignments.

I was skeptical that SC would actually DO that, thinking that it probably just would set colors, same as PgcEdit... but to my pleasant surprise, it actually worked!!!

After some experimentation, trial and error, I figured out how to make it work, and decided I could just use the same settings for the VOB subtitles as you use for the .srt subtitles; so I assigned Color Block 2 as Outline, and Color Block 3 as Character.

Now... NO NEED for changing anything within AVStoDVD; neither setting the 'Edit Encoder Command Parameters at runtime' option, nor adding a substitute color palette file! Everything running in default mode, which is nice.

Just in case you (or other users) may wish to try this...
The steps for changing the color block assignment in SubtitleCreator are as follows:
1) load the VOB subtitle file
2) click on the top subtitle, to select it.
3) on the right hand side menu, click the down arrow to change "Edit This" to "Edit All"
4) Under "Set Colors" Select Background to 00, Text to 03, Outline to 02, and Anti-Alias to 00. This matches the color assignment of AVStoDVD.
5) Click the "Set Subtitles Colors and Position" button.
6) Click on the first subtitle again.
7) On the keyboard, continue to press the down arrow key, which will select (and change) the next subtitle, changing the color assignment there, too.
8) Continue to press the down arrow key, until you've changed every single subtitle. If you just HOLD DOWN the arrow key, this works too, but sometimes it will skip a subtitle, so you must watch for that, and go back and select that subtitle too...
9) Disregard that the subtitles appear to be gray with gray outline; it just so happens that SubtitleCreator has those colors showing as Colors 02 and 03, but after processing with AVStoDVD, they will be Black and White, as set by the AVStoDVD Palette file.
10) Click File, Save VOBSub as... new filename.

Thanks again for your earlier help with this issue of mixed subtitles / sourced idx/sub subtitles, and, of course, thanks again for your terrific program!

Take care,
Pawpcorn
Pawpcorn is offline   Reply With Quote