View Single Post
Old 11th January 2019, 22:13   #64  |  Link
manolito

I do agree with johnmeyer, I also got rid of all resident antivirus software (except for Threadfire which is purely based on behavior). My XP partition has never been reinstalled since XP entered the scene, it has lots and lots of software on it, and it's size is still below 10 GB.

Getting security updates even after the MS support ended looked like a good idea, so I installed the POSReady registry hack. It did work until early 2018, after this I got problems with some of my installed software, it was even impossible to reinstall it, so I disabled all updates for WinXP at this point.

As an experiment I attempted a fresh install of WinXP (of course after backing up my old installation). And I was really surprised about how much faster this fresh installation felt. Looks like all these accumulated security updates really slowed down my computer a lot.

For WinXP this case is closed for me, I am not sure how to proceed with Win7. Should I stop updating it even while MS is still providing security updates? The quality of MS updates has certainly deteriorated considerably after the company changed their philosophy and removed a lot of man power and expertise from their OS department. Confused...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote