View Single Post
Old 21st March 2020, 15:27   #24  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
2018 was a bad year to buy a TV.
Why do you say that? There were some very fine TVs sold in 2018.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
For LCDs refreshing at 24Hz can be technically bad. They cannot hold the liquid crystal in one orientation long term so you get apparent flicker as the pixels drift and then snap back at the next refresh. Of course, you could use 48Hz with frame doubling because most LCDs don't drift much in 21ms but even that could be too slow for a particular panel.
That's not really true. The fluid is effectively used as a capacitor that holds the transistor in the state set by the panel drivers. The combination will hold the for quite a while (in terms of ms). It takes seconds for the image to fade if you stop refreshing the transistors.

Quote:
It is also more expensive to support more refresh rates because you need to tune the refresh electronics for each refresh rate, requiring a better controller and more work up front. Not much more expensive today but you do have to spend something to support each refresh rate.
That's why they refresh the panel at 120Hz or 240Hz in good LCD TVs. They're not changing the actual drive rate for the panel much. All expected North American content is a multiple of those that divides in evenly into 120Hz.

Quote:
That said, I suspect most TVs don't that support 50Hz today could but don't as a simple region locking mechanism.
What do you mean by support? I can input p25 and p50 into my US model LCD Sony TV. They are supported frame rates. I haven't bothered to confirm if it switches the panel drive to 100Hz. It wouldn't surprise me if it does. The European model of the same TV has to support p24 properly in addition to 50Hz content so it has to switch between 100Hz and 120Hz drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkey_monkey View Post
Because it's not obvious to everyone.
It pretty much is if you put two displays side by side. One with a 60Hz refresh rate and one with a refresh rate that's a multiple of 24Hz and show content with motion and pans in them they will quickly realize they don't look the same if told to compare them. They probably won't be able to tell you why, but they will see the difference.
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote