View Single Post
Old 15th May 2020, 08:06   #165  |  Link
Katie Boundary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
TBH that result speaks for itself, just drop it.
Any results that you might perceive of as wonky, are that way because that's exactly the way the DVD is encoded. My method perfectly preserves field-accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHruska View Post
Hey all,

Just thought I'd post here and introduce myself. I'm Joel Hruska, from ExtremeTech, and I've been working to upscale Deep Space 9.
Hi Joel! World Domination Studios here. As you can see, most people here are hell-bent on making this process much more complicated than it really is. I see that you're still using Handbrake and Staxrip instead of Smartripper, DGindex, and AVIsynth, and you're also trying to encode to exotic containers like MKV instead of the more well-supported AVI. Any particular reasons for that?

Also, we did get your email about the retrograde field behavior. We apologize for not responding to it earlier. To use the trim command to get rid of it, the script would look something like this:

Code:
mpeg2source("arbitrary ds9 episode.d2v")

A=nnedi3(field=-2).selecteven()
B=nnedi3(field=-2).selectodd()
C=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,clip2=A,micmatching=0)
D=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,clip2=B,micmatching=0)
E=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,pp=5,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,micmatching=0)
F=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,pp=5,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,micmatching=0)

X=interleave(C,D)
Y=interleave(E,F)

Trim(X,0,82)+trim(Y,83,247)+trim(X,248,0)
...where frames 0 through 82 are in a "sane" order, frames 83 through 247 are the ones with the retrograde field behavior, and then frames 248 onward are clean again ("0" means "last frame" when used as the second parameter for trim). This will produce blended frames where the retrograde field behavior used to be, but it will at least preserve all of the original fields in their original locations in the timeline. If you're willing to sacrifice some orphaned fields to kill the blending, the script would look more like this:

Code:
mpeg2source("arbitrary ds9 episode.d2v")

A=nnedi3(field=-2).selecteven()
B=nnedi3(field=-2).selectodd()
C=Tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,clip2=A,micmatching=0)
D=Tfm(field=0,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,clip2=B,micmatching=0)

X=interleave(C,D)
Y=separatefields().doubleweave().tfm(field=1,mode=0,slow=2,cthresh=2,MI=40,blockx=8,mthresh=2,clip2=A,micmatching=0)

Trim(X,0,82)+trim(Y,83,247)+trim(X,248,0)
Just remember that your sole priority here is to deinterlace so that when you upscale the footage, you're not upscaling combed frames. Any and all other bullshit, like denoising or trying to convert to variable frame rate, is a distraction, and should be dealt with after deinterlacing - not as part of a single process that tries to do 20 different things at once and sucks at all of them.