View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 21:07   #253  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHruska View Post
Typically I have 1). processed the DVD footage in AviSynth, 2). changed the frame rate in DaVinci Resolve Studio, and then 3). upscaled the final product in Topaz VEAI. In this workflow I decided to test; 1). changing the frame rate, 2). upscaling the video, and 3). Attempting to process the upscaled footage the same way I typically do, just to see an apples-to-apples comparison of the final output. I did this to avoid throwing data away early in QTGMC before performing the upscale. It took eight days to upscale the video in this fashion, which is why I'm just now reporting on the results of a test that I started like four pages ago.
Wow, and that's easier than adding a few Trims to a script?
Why on earth are you outputting 120fps if you're just going to decimate it back to 23.976?
The whole idea of 120fps is it's a multiple of both 24 and 60, so even though there's lots of repeated frames the interlaced sections still play at their original speed, as do the film sections.

Thinking about it, TDecmiate(mode=7, rate = 23.976) mightn't be the best tool for the job. The output will have a constant frame rate, so to achieve 23.976fps you might end up with the interlaced and film sections effectively playing at the wrong speeds. If the Avisynth output was 23.976fps though, it should be fine.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it. If the output from Avisynth is 23.976 and you're decimating to 23.976, why the conversion to 120fps and back? Aren't you just creating a heap of duplicate frames that you have to process, only to throw them away later?

After trying some VFR encodes myself, using TFM for a VFR encode from Avisynth seems like the best method anyway, so I don't know why you wouldn't want to try it.

Last edited by hello_hello; 18th May 2020 at 21:10.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote