View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 22:08   #257  |  Link
Katie Boundary

I never argued that those were "evil". Lies like that are why you're on my ignore list.

There is another argument to be made in favor of pp=5, however. My current deinterlacing algorithm heavily favors field-accuracy, the representation of the original fields and frames as accurately as possible in the newly deinterlaced frames, and the minimization of blended frames and residual interlacing. Why? because the obsessive-compulsive demons who whisper in my ear demanded it. It can't fully eliminate visible interlacing without a high false positive rate, which it conceals pretty well with temporally-aware bobbers (Yadifmod2). But there are types of content where that's not the right tradeoff to make, and blending is better than an autistically literal representation of the original content. The most obvious is the aforementioned retrograde field behavior, but fades, credit animations, and a few other effects are harmed less by blending than the rest of the frame is by bobbing. There are also times when the last field of one clip and the first field of the following clip will be interlaced together and encoded as a single frame, which causes their chroma planes to merge; in such cases, each field benefits from being matched and blended with the nearest field from its own clip rather than bobbed. This doesn't mean that cthresh and mthresh should be set higher, however. You can't do that without unacceptable amounts of visible interlacing getting through.

Last edited by Katie Boundary; 18th May 2020 at 22:28.
Katie Boundary is offline   Reply With Quote