View Single Post
Old 28th April 2008, 21:27   #62  |  Link
nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberger View Post
Seems to me all those were never part of x264 proper. It's just an encoder library with a CLI.
Well, they are part of x264, but not the core library (libx264). GUI and MP4 support need to be enabled when configuring the build (and they need external libraries, of course). Matroska output support is built-in to the CLI.

Quote:
I wouldn't recommend that. As of SVN-r26492, mencoder's MP4 muxing is once again - and likely always has been - broken. It even warns about that.
Ok, I was actually thinking whether I should say that it might work or if it should work, and I opted for the latter since there were rumors that it now works. I wouldn't recommend using it either if there is doubt.

Quote:
That's one of the reasons encoding on Linux still sucks, that while mencoder seems to be the most advanced full feature transcoding frontend (transcode being another) and often enough working quite well right out of the box, it might always unexpectedly fail in some only slightly subtle situation. MP4 muxing definitely seems to be one of those.
Avidemux is also worth trying, although it's more GUI-oriented. At least it can output MP4 properly
nm is offline   Reply With Quote