Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 17th September 2013, 08:43   #20  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Obviously, adding .avs syntax to VapourSynth crossed my mind too. The reason I chose Avisynth is because, even though VapourSynth has the same goals that I do, it is not quite there yet. It was built with threading in mind, yet it was (still is?) a gamble whether it locks up with Avisynth filters (and it doesn't have that many native fiilters). It also wants to be portable, but the tools for Linux are still missing (the best advice on the forums to step through a .vps script frame-by-frame is still to use VirtualDub under Wine, LOL). And just like me, VapourSynth also wants to be 64bit-compatible, but it cannot be built for x64 Windows. Furthermore, back then a few months ago, VapourSynth was missing widespread support in application like VDub, a console piper, ffms2 and so on. Plugin support is also larger, coz' AFAIK Vapour can't handle all Avisynth plugins. So as you can see, just because it has better goals than Avisynth, it doesn't mean it is more usable than Avisynth.

Avisynth of course also has most of these problems, yet due to better documentation, better support in applications, and the larger selection of plugins, it is still more usable. And given that I want to use it (not just develop it), these shortcomings played a large role when I've chosen Avisynth to contribute to. I see that some of the mentioned issues have been fixed in r18 and r19, but others are still current and will need a later release to actually fix.

Another, less practical thing that discouraged me from working on VapourSynth as a developer was looking at its sources. Avisynth's code is in terrible shape, I'm not gonna beat around the bush. However, being 10 years old, and having been patched up with functionality that it wasn't designed to handle at all countless times, is at least an acceptable excuse. VapourSynth on the other hand, has similar spaghetti code, is even less documented, and just as hard to read. For a project that set out to correct Avisynth's mistakes, still young and with less features, this was unforgivable in my eyes.

All these things being said, you can see I had more reasons to choose Avisynth than just the scripting language alone.